Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hiker rescued from trail

I commented in a recent column (see below) on the steady creep of American English. I gave as an example the increasing usage of the word “trail” in preference to the traditional New Zealand “track” and I speculated that in time, “tramper” could be overtaken by the American equivalent, “hiker”.

It’s happening even quicker than I expected. On TVNZ’s Breakfast programme this morning, which I’d tuned into for the Obama inauguration, Peter Williams read a news item about a woman hiker from Adelaide who had been rescued after spending nine days in a hut - or perhaps that should have been cabin - near Wanaka.

Incidentally, I thought Obama’s speech was just swell.

1 comment:

Ayrdale said...

Have you noted how the BBC doctored it to fit their climate change/ global warming agenda ?
Please see:

http://ccgi.newbery1.plus.com/blog/?p=147