Monday, June 4, 2018

To all those who wondered what happened to their comments, now you know

A friend alerted me yesterday to the fact that a comment she had tried to post on my blog hadn't appeared. How the blog normally works is that when someone submits a comment it comes to me as an email. I can then click "publish" or "delete" (normally the former, as it goes without saying that my blog typically attracts a superior grade of comment) and it duly appears (or disappears, as the case may be). But my friend's alert prompted me to check my blog settings, and in the course of rummaging around in the bowels of blogger.com I discovered literally dozens of unpublished comments, some of which had been languishing there since early last year. None of them had come to me as emails, so I was unaware of their existence. On the basis of better late than never, and in a desperate attempt to keep faith with my blog readers, they have now belatedly been published. My sincere (and rather embarrassed) apologies to all those commenters who thought I'd snubbed them. I now know not to assume that I'll receive email notification of comments.

This merely goes to confirm my lack of digital savvy. If running a blog could be compared with driving a car, I'd be displaying an L-plate in my rear window.


3 comments:

Max Ritchie said...

I'm no expert but I wonder if you have solved this - I can't see any comments anywhere.

Karl du Fresne said...

Yours has got through, but I admit I'm mystified by what happened to the others (see my latest post).

hughvane said...

From memory, only once has one of my (few) comments not been published, that was probably 2-3 years ago, and I thought no more of it at the time. Is there more than one way to sign in? Facebook is not an option because you have withdrawn from that, but Google seems to work satisfactorily for me.