Thursday, July 23, 2020

We're all immigrants here

I recently read an interview with the Sri Lankan-born Wellington novelist Brannavan Gnanalingam. In it he talks mainly about the challenge of being male in a culture that he sees as clinging to a narrow and not always attractive idea of masculinity. But he also comments on the frequency of “casual racism” and his regret at having lost touch with his heritage, presumably as a result of feeling pressured to fit in to a predominantly white society.

One thing in particular struck me, and I quote directly from the article:

Being asked where you’re from, for example, is a “ridiculously common” experience for a non-white person, he [Gnanalingam] says. If it’s someone at a hostel overseas, or someone wanting to establish whakapapa links, that’s one thing. If it’s someone who’s noticed your skin is a different colour from theirs, that’s another. “I often get slightly sassy and respond, ‘Well, where are you from?’” he says. “It always throws them.”

But hang on a minute. I’m happy to admit that I’ve often asked people with dark skin or unfamiliar accents where they’re from – taxi drivers especially, since I’m sharing the front of the car with them and it’s an obvious way to get a conversation started.

I supposed I could play it safe and make meaningless small talk about the weather, but I ask about their background because I’m genuinely interested. It’s posed as a friendly inquiry, not as a demand that they explain their justification for being in New Zealand. Still less is it intended to imply judgment of them on the basis of their appearance or way of speaking. I see it as a way of establishing a connection with a fellow human being. Can that be so bad?

Sometimes they have an interesting story to tell, like the irrepressibly cheerful cab driver from Bhutan I met in Christchurch a couple of years ago, or the lugubrious Afghan who once picked me up from San Francisco Airport. If I sense that they’re not comfortable (which I don’t recall ever happening), there’s always the weather option to fall back on.

I welcome the fact that New Zealand has become a multicultural society, as do virtually all the people I know. To me it seems the most natural thing in the world to want to learn more about people’s cultural origins and the circumstances that led them to settle here. Quite apart from anything else, it adds to my knowledge as a journalist about the demographic forces shaping this county. It’s not intended to make immigrants feel like outsiders, still less that they’re not welcome. We’re all immigrants, after all; some just more recent than others.

Would it be better if I said nothing and completed the taxi ride in silence? That would seem far more cold and unfriendly.

And really, is it so different from someone asking about the origin of your surname, which happens to me all the time? Or inquiring where your accent comes from, as in the case of my Polish wife (who never minds being asked, although she’s been a New Zealand citizen for more than 50 years)? Or are such questions okay if you’re white, but somehow different if you’re brown or black – in which case, should we be asking whether the people who condemn the question as racist in those instances are themselves perversely promoting a sense of “them and us”, which is the very thing they profess to oppose?

I’m aware of the fashionable view that only the victims of racism can recognise and identify it. Using that yardstick, a taxi driver who thinks my question about where he comes from is racist must be right. But if the question is asked with goodwill and genuine curiosity, doesn’t that count for something?

Here, of course, we come to our old friend unconscious bias; the notion that you can be racist without realising it. If we accept the idea of unconscious bias, we also acknowledge the possibility of casual or unintended racism. But I reject the notion that by simply asking someone about their nationality or ethnic background, you’re somehow demonstrating racial prejudice. That strikes me as a complete non-sequitur.

In fact I’d suggest that treating discussion of ethnicity as a no-go zone is potentially an impediment to good race relations, because it risks amplifying awareness of difference rather than encouraging acceptance of it as normal. How can tip-toeing around questions of ethnicity in a “don’t mention the war” fashion be more inclusive than openly engaging with people about their origins?

I could go further and ask who’s more likely to drive a wedge between the predominant white culture and ethnic minorities: the person making an innocent inquiry about someone else’s race or nationality, or the person assuming it must be underpinned by racism?

So I intend to continue asking people where they come from. And if they turn the question back on me, as Gnanalingam says he sometimes does, it won’t throw me in the slightest. I’d be very happy to tell them that I come from Waipukurau and long before that, from Ireland on my mother’s side and France and Denmark on my father’s. There’s no stigma in that, and I wonder why it should be seen as potentially stigmatising if you tell people you come from Sudan, Taiwan, Iran or wherever. Perhaps more to the point, who exactly is doing the stigmatising by suggesting such matters should be off-limits? After all, as I said, we’re all immigrants here.


12 comments:

GH said...

I came from Latin America 10 years ago and I don't mind people asking me "where are you from?" when they notice my accent or my looks. Not a problem at all! Usually is a friendly conversation about food, costumes, places to visit, etc.

And I myself ask that A LOT to other people with the same result.

I guess some people are just looking for something to be offended? anything?
Is the victimhood Olympics for some.

transpress nz said...

As a white Kiwi I get regularly asked in countries like the U.S., Canada, the U.K. where I'm from because of my accent. It's what you expect to get. Some people are oversensitive, and is a result of the identity politics the Left indulge in all the time.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

I'm exactly like you Karl. It's natural and friendly curiosity. I got used to it as a child with a non-Kiwi accent. Not once have I ever regarded asking someone where they are from as rude or confronting.

hughvane said...

When taking a taxi to Wellington Airport years ago, and chatting, as I like to do, with the driver, I asked him he was Asian or NZ Indian. His response was terse ... "I'm second generation NZ!" I apologised for any offence, at which he mellowed and asked where I was from. I explained about being 'rural', and because I'd lived in S E Asia and mixed widely with Indians there, I was curious and interested. He told me of the racist comments he had to endure in his job, especially when on night shift. I must have appeared dreadfully naive when I asked why.

Doug Longmire said...

Thank you Karl. Yet again you have written a thoughtful, well balanced and commonsense article. I, and most sensible Kiwis, would completely agree with you.
As a pharmacist I frequently work with fellow pharmacists from Asian or Middle Eastern countries. I am always interested in their life experience and background. I have never (to my knowledge) had any of these fellow workers take offence at my genuine interest in them.
Yes - we are all immigrants here, including me (born in Adelaide) German/Canadian mother, English/Australian father.

Unknown said...

Thank you Karl, all I can say is, 'Here, here!'

Yes we are all immigrants here & that's a fact so why are we indulging the ones who are so touchy in this Country. The more we do this, the more division we bring to NZ. Everyone will be forced to take a position against most other people here and that is a recipe for disaster.

Oh for a NZ just inhabited by NZrs. Each with an unique heritage but, rising way above all that, being NZrs first and foremost.

Odysseus said...

While my forebears were immigrants, I am not. I was born and raised in New Zealand and I am proud that I have been able to serve this country overseas. To say we are "all immigrants here" blurs an important point. New Zealand has developed its own distinct culture based on being a parliamentary democracy which is relatively corruption-free and where "fairness" and egalitarianism have been the guiding principles for most of the time. I do not worship at the temple of "multiculturalism" where new arrivals with different and sometimes opposing values are unwilling to integrate into their new society. That has led to ghettos and outbreaks of disorder and even terrorism in Europe where "liberals" like Angela Merkel and he UK's former equivalent of the Human Rights Commissioner Trevor Phillips have declared the concept of multiculturalism to be a fraud. As for casually and good-naturedly asking people where they are from, why not? It's an opening line that can lead to some interesting and enriching conversations.

Doug Longmire said...

When I say "we are all immigrants here" I am referring to our recent origins and speaking in a figurative sense.
The point is this:- All people here have recently arrived from overseas, or are descendants of such people. There are no "indigenous" inhabitants.
So we are all in the same boat, a Korean or Indonesian Pharmacist is just as much a Kiwi as me (Caucasian) or a Maori pharmacist. We are New Zealanders.

Andy Espersen said...

I find it difficult to understand why or how Brannavan Gnanalingam comes to thinks that a simple question, "Where do you come from?, is indicative of racism (casual or otherwise). To my mind it simply shows that he is labouring with an huge chip on his shoulder. His skin colour is different from the colour of the majority of folks in the country he came to live in. He knew that before he came. He also knew that if a white (or black, red or brown, for that matter) person turns up in a Shri Lankan village, he/she will of course be asked the exact same question.

That is the same all over the world - always was. In 1978 I and my family spent a couple of days in Singapore. My son was 6 years old - and was the cutest, blondest, blue-eyed little fellow you can imagine. The Singapore women simply could not leave him alone. They would smile, ogle him, talk to each other about him in a language I did not understand. They would touch his bare white arms and talk ever so sweetly to him. I was amused - but I was certainly neither surprised nor offended.

It is, of course, just simple, innocent human interest in fellow human beings. It is never "racism"!

Hilary Taylor said...

It's all been said here & I concur. People love talking about themselves and such a question is a great opener. I routinely do it to young service staff, who are invariably smart, friendly types who welcome an opportunity for relief from their circumscribed roles, a sort of circuit-breaker that opens up a whole conversational world. Have never been knocked back.

Doug Longmire said...

Agree with Andy 100%. Natural curiosity and interest in another person is not, by definition, a form of racial discrimination. It is usually a form of respect / friendship in my experience.

Unknown said...

People who object to "where are you from" are challenging the dominant identity. Why aren't they grateful to be allowed to migrate into a society based around an existing ethnic group. Is it because the ideology of multiculturalism imposes itself and presumes to be better. Better for who?
Mai Chen came here in the 70's and hated it. Her solution is that there should be many cultures here not one and she claims (Superdiversity Stocktake) that this has economic benefits. The evidence isn't robust.
It is human nature that we divide ourselves into us/them and our territory. Therefore, there has to be a price of entry (marriage, skills, exchange). At present we are pushing credibility but people cannot voice concerns due to the racism taboo. "Diversity?" WTF is that?