Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Wall of Sound, or Wall of Noise?

So Phil Spector has died. I was on holiday on a remote part of the coast with limited internet access at the time, so couldn’t have read the obituaries even if I’d wanted to. But let me guess that they almost unanimously hailed him as a flawed prodigy.

They would also, I imagine, have mentioned the so-called Wall of Sound – the recording technique Spector pioneered, in which masses of musicians were packed into the recording studio to create a dense, multi-layered aural barrage. I mean, why use only one drummer, one guitarist, one bassist and one keyboard player when you could have three or four playing each instrument in unison?

With Spector in the control room, the dial was permanently set at 11. That was supposedly his unique genius, and it led to preposterously hyperbolic comparisons with Wagner.

To be fair, lots of people admired him. Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, for one, was in awe of Spector and yearned to emulate his sound, to the point that it became an obsession that almost literally drove Wilson mad. But if you ask me (and admittedly, no one has; the phone has inexplicably been silent), Spector didn’t produce a Wall of Sound so much as a Wall of Noise.

It was surely no coincidence that he was at his creative and commercial peak in the 1960s, an era when the American taste for bigness and excess was also evident in the grotesquely large, ostentatious cars rolling off Detroit assembly lines. Spector’s records were the aural equivalent of a 1960 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, with its enormous bulk, acres of vulgar chrome and tailfins that were both outlandish and utterly pointless.  

It has always puzzled me that Brian Wilson measured himself against Spector and found himself wanting. Musically as well as physically, Wilson was a colossus compared with his pint-sized idol. I remain unconvinced that the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds is the perfect album everyone says it was (although it included God Only Knows, one of the most exquisite pop songs ever written); but though Pet Sounds was supposedly influenced by Spector, it had subtlety and nuance in abundance. These are not qualities associated with Spector, any more than they are associated with the Cadillac de Ville (or, for that matter, the Harley-Davidson Electra-Glide, which came from the same era).

And here’s another thing. At the same time as Spector was being lionised for making noisy, overblown, bombastic music in LA, British producers and musical arrangers whom virtually no one has heard of – people such as Johnny Franz and Ivor Raymonde – were creating records which, while just as imposing sonically, also showed finesse, restraint and an appreciation of light and shade. Just listen to any of the big hits by the Walker Brothers or Dusty Springfield –  songs such as Make It Easy On Yourself, The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore, You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me, All I See Is You, I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten – and you might see what I mean. These are big, powerful songs, but they resonate emotionally in a way that Spector’s records never did.

By way of contrast, check out River Deep – Mountain High, by Ike and Tina Turner. Spector regarded this 1966 recording as his magnum opus, the ultimate expression of his talent, but to my ears it’s a frenetic, undisciplined din with little to commend it other than its furious pace, noise and energy. (The original video’s worth watching, mind you.)

Spector was bitterly disappointed when River Deep tanked, peaking at No. 88 on the Billboard chart. Perhaps public taste had moved on by then; the 1966 Cadillac Coupe de Ville was notably more restrained than its predecessors, and all the better for it.

15 comments:

Doug Longmire said...

My taste would be a '63 T'Bird drophead coupe. But I guess I'll have to wait for the lotto win.

Meantime Little Deuce Coupe and Fun,Fun,Fun are two of my favourites.

I read that Spector was very opposed to stereo sound. Presumably because stereo gave clear distinction of the sounds, compared to the cacophonic mush that was his preference.

Ricardo said...

Just watched River Deep original on YouTube. Loved it (again). Loud noisy energy packed... isn't that the entire point? Watched the intro coda as well. Tina and the Ikettes, tight short dresses, stupendous legs, synchronised pumping and gyrations...are men allowed to admire fiery female sexuality aloud anymore or is that inappropriate, patriarchal, sexist and gender oppressive?

Karl du Fresne said...

I did say the video was worth watching.

MarkJ said...

I recall Paul McCartney loathed Spector's treatment of "A Long and Winding Road", especially the addition of the strings. While I appreciate McCartney's piano driven version, I think the Spector treatment has endured. Regardless, a flawed individual, without a doubt.

hughvane said...

A seldom-heard, but in this listener’s/reader’s opinion, a gem from the Beach Boys’ is ‘Disney Girls’ (listening to it right now in fact).

Personally, I would not cross the footpath to listen to Spector’s works, I abhor cacophony, but he was a crusader for what he considered a legitimate music form. Dare to be Different.

Russell Parkinson said...

Agree with you 100%. Its why I never took to Springsteen's Born to Run album either. Too much noise. I want space between instruments played by great players and clear vocals. I want to hear all the nuances even with raucous music.

Mark Wahlberg said...

Irrespective of whether the fins were big or small on American cars of the 1960's, the decade cemented style in my mind as far as Yankee automobiles were concerned.
It was a time when gasoline was cheap and 100 octane fuel freely available at most pumps.

I had a 69 Thunderbird in the early 70's. It was a cruiser in a land of banal motor cars.
It had an 8 track stereo cartridge machine, sadly there were no tapes to play. But it did have a factory stereo radio.
As I cruised around the Wellington of the day, I would often get stopped by the then Wellington City Council Traffic Police, they drove MK 4 Zephyrs if my memory serves me well.

I suspect they harassed me because they could and I was a scruffy looking individual driving a gangster car which was suspicious in itself.

I discovered that when I was stopped and I switched the car radio to stereo, I could pick up the officers communications with his base. When he approached the wrong side of the car, (it was LHD) and realising his mistake he would be discombobulated in the extreme. When I addressed him by his call sign he near had apoplexy.

I remember once heading North up Wellington's Ngauranga Gorge and I spotted a traffic car approaching behind me. I hit the gas and the cop never stood a chance. I was in Porirua before his Zephyr got to the top of the hill.
Had great fun in that car, I was sorry to see it go........

Hilary Taylor said...

Fair enough, but RDMH is without doubt a timeless classic and our small dancey/poppy girls instinctively related to the Christmas Album, the playing of which while the tree is trimmed has become a xmas ritual for us. That historical Vanity Fair piece on him after the starlet murder was memorable....the wigs in court etc...compelling.

Ricardo said...

Russell Parkinson, you "never took to " Born to Run! Are you human? Does your pulse never rise above 2 beats per minute? Born to Run is the album they play in heaven. Music is more than space and nuance, it is .. is... is........

Karl du Fresne said...

Born to Run left me cold too, as does most of the Springsteen repertoire. He's just one of several rock idols (Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison ...) whose appeal eludes me.

Karl du Fresne said...

I forgot to mention Prince.

Ricardo said...

adjectives and nouns...

lyrical, integrity, authentic, soulful, mournful, boppy, arranger, composer, combustion, exhaustion, longevity, elegaic, anthems and yes rock and roll

Chris Morris said...

There is an interesting podcast out the "500 songs" where the history of rock music is analysed. The presenter is only up to the mid 60s, but in the ones he has done so far. Phil Spector features quite a lot. And even quoting reports from the time, no one seemed to like him. He was doing some pretty despicable things even then. But like Weinberg has shown, the liberal arts community more than tolerated him, but heaped praise, because he made them money. They sold their morality out for the dollar.

kiwhig said...

from what I have heard, it was the lushness produced by his multi-tracking that boosted the songs produced by Spector. Maybe he added library orchestral. He would release these lavish productions while the band was on tour. They hated it; the fans expected them to produce the same sound on stage wherever they were. Impossible of course; but how were they to explain?

Al said...

That does it. You really don’t have an iota of taste.