Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Not a bad team


 

I've been searching for a photo of my old friend and colleague Barrie Watts, whom I obituarised here, and I finally came across this gem from about 1968, sent to me several years ago by Robin Bromby. It shows the editorial staff of the Dominion Sunday Times. On the left, Jack Kelleher (then editor of the Sunday paper, later of  The Dominion); standing at rear, left to right, Robin Bromby, Frank Haden (then chief sub-editor) and George Taucher (printer); in front, left to right, reporter Graham Billing (also a published novelist, best known for Forbush and the Penguins), sub-editor Neil Anderson, Barrie Watts (at typewriter) and sub-editor Paul Taylor. Quite a team.

6 comments:

Mark Wahlberg said...

Karl, it was not only the days of impeccable journalism, the dress code demanded was beyond reproach.

I grew up listening to Randy Stone'S Night beat stories on our much treasured RCA VICTOR valve radio. I would sit with an ear to the speaker creating images out of sound as Randy Stone sat hunched over his typewriter batting away at the keys, racing to make a deadline for publication of another sensational story.. Those radio adventures and the intrigue they created helped me become enamored with the magic world of broad sheet newspapers. Which incidentally, I never learnt to read until I was nearly thirty.

Unknown said...

not a trans activist or climate change warrior among them.
like, literally, triggered right now omg

pdm said...

Shame Frank Haden is not still around and writing.

His opinion pieces on the current government would be worth the price of a paper on their own.

Anonymous said...

That's my Dad George Taucher. He was in the Dominion newspaper years ago as an apprentice with the headline the 'gay compositor'. So not a trans activist or climate change warrior but gay when the word meant happy.

Anonymous said...

That's my Dad George Taucher. He was in the Dominion newspaper years ago as an apprentice with the headline the 'gay compositor'. So not a trans activist or climate change warrior but gay when the word meant happy.

Karl du Fresne said...

I remember George from my time at the Dom in the 1980s, when he was head printer."Gay" isn't a word I would have chosen to describe him ...