Tuesday, October 31, 2023

A peculiar trip down Memory Lane

Something curious popped up in my comments box recently.

It came from someone who chose to remain anonymous (now there’s a surprise) and asked, in a phony tone of mateyness, “I wonder if Karl remembers his writings on Yugoslavia and the Serbs".

This nameless troll went on to quote at length from a column I wrote in April 1999 that was subsequently the subject of a complaint to the Press Council, as it was then called. He (and I'm guessing it was a male) seemed to think I would be stung by the reference to it.

As a matter of fact I do remember the column and, perhaps contrary to my commenter’s assumption, am happy to revisit it. I suppose I should take it as a perverse compliment that it’s still weighing on some unfortunate soul’s mind after all this time.

The column was published in the Evening Post and the Nelson Mail and recorded my feelings about the civil war then raging in the Balkans.

In it, I pleaded guilty, “probably for the first time in my life,” to a feeling of antagonism toward a specific race – namely, the people of Serbia.

“I don’t take pride in this,” I wrote, “but neither do I apologise for it. Humanity demands that we are repelled by the vile acts carried out in recent years in the name of Serbian nationalism.”

I noted that since the death of the communist dictator Tito and the breakup of the old Yugoslavia, “the Serbs have embarked on one barbaric series of atrocities after another, reactivating ethnic feuds that go back centuries. They are a disgrace to 20th century civilisation.”

I reminded my readers that the Serbs had given us the chilling phrase "ethnic cleansing" and I referred to then-recent events in Kosovo, where people were butchered, raped and driven from their homes “in systematic depredations that spring direct from the Dark Ages”.

Readers of this blog may recall some of the other appalling events of that era, notably the Bosnian Serb army’s four-year siege of Sarajevo (nearly 14,000 killed, 40 percent of them civilians) and the massacre at Srebrenica, in which Serbian soldiers slaughtered more than 8000 defenceless Muslim boys and men. Some of the perpetrators – Slobodan Milosevic, Radovan Karadzic, Ratko Mladic – were eventually convicted of war crimes.

My column was a tirade against the hideous excesses of militant ethno-nationalism, but a reader of the Nelson Mail complained to the Press Council that it was offensive and racist. “By most normal criteria – objectivity, fairness, balance, accuracy – the piece falls abysmally below acceptable standards and represents a breach of the Race Relations Act,” the complainant wrote.

She held that the column was deeply offensive not only to Serbians but to anyone who was affronted by racism. The Mail’s editor, David Mitchell, rejected the complaint and wrote a robust and eloquent defence in which he pointed out that my column didn’t condone racism but in fact condemned it “in very strong terms”.

I followed up that column with another in which I partially (but only partially) repented. I can’t find a copy of that second column, but in it I acknowledged there were good people of Serbian ethnicity and apologised for having smeared them by association with the barbaric acts carried out in the name of Serbian nationalism. I particularly remember a phone call from a polite but reproachful woman of Serbian descent who persuaded me that I’d overstated my case.

The woman who had complained about my column regarded my partial retraction as inadequate and declined to withdraw her complaint, as was her right. She wanted an acknowledgment from the Mail that my column “fell below acceptable standards” – a concession the principled David Mitchell, to his great credit, wasn’t prepared to make.

It then fell to the Press Council, chaired by the retired High Court judge Sir John Jeffries, to adjudicate on the complaint. It was not upheld. In a decision which he wrote himself, Jeffries (who died in 2019) had this to say:

“There can be no question but that Mr du Fresne expressed his views in both columns in the strongest and most forceful terms. He used rhetoric and passion to convey to his readers his unqualified repugnance of the present Serbian government, its people and its leader Slobodan Milosevic. Part of the rhetoric was to charge himself with racism and to plead guilty. Is Mr du Fresne by using that device, and others, to attract attention and support for his views in truth indulging in racial hatred and impliedly agitating against Serbs everywhere?

“Selecting some sentences and phrases from the April column and branding those parts as fomenting racial hatred that calls for disapprobation by the Press Council does not provide the answer. The Council believes it should go past the rhetorical devices and strategies to shock and awaken people to the brutality of what is happening in this year, in the Balkans, and instead go to the substance of the column.

“The first piece is not for racial hatred, it is against it. It is not for violence, but against it. The central point of the second column is that recourse should not be had to history to explain but that the violence should be halted right now. The political message of the piece is that Nato bombing be supported for the sole purpose of stopping the killing of thousands of Kosovars and the displacement of hundreds of thousands. When ethnic cleansing is the issue, some columnists choose not to express themselves by detached analysis using language of cold objectivity but prefer to startle and shock.

“To accuse oneself of racism and to plead guilty is in truth a device for demonstrating how evil racism is because it is able to infiltrate and contaminate the columnist against his own better judgment. The illustration had sacrificial overtones.

“This was not writing of an irresponsible, reckless or promiscuous nature. It was a powerfully expressed argument laced with emotion and passion. The Council in the name of objectivity, balance and judgment should not interfere with the freedom to write and publish such material. This is highly emotive writing but it does not call for disapprobation by the Council.”

So there we are. I'm left to scratch my head in wonderment that some tragically obsessed individual has dredged up this episode nearly a quarter-century later.

It’s an example of what’s called offence archaeology: the popular woke practice of unearthing statements or actions from the distant past in the hope of embarrassing or discrediting someone. But what’s the point? Here’s a tip for my anonymous commenter: offence archaeology works only if it causes harm, and if I thought that publishing his comment was likely to hurt me or damage my reputation, I would have simply deleted it. Instead, here I am giving him the oxygen he presumably craved, for the good reason that I have nothing to be ashamed of.

I will even give him the satisfaction of quoting from his closing paragraph, in which he resorted to a childish personal insult (which I won't dignify by repeating), called me a bigot and an “admitted racist” and concluded: “You should have been reported and prosecuted under the New Zealand Race Relations Act.”

Sorry, but it’s a bit late for that now, as attractive as the idea might be to the Human Rights Commission. But I hope he feels better for having got it off his chest.

For what it's worth, the Press Council decision can be read here.

10 comments:

Trev1 said...

The wars in the Former Yugoslavia were a wake-up call. I travelled to central Bosnia with the NZ Army in mid-1995, just before the UN "safe-havens" in Srebrenica and Gorazde were overrun. In central Bosnia where New Zealand's "Kiwi-Company" was posted at Santici alongside a British battalion, the conflict was primarily between Croats and Bosniacs, although we did rub up against the Serbs in the Maglaj Finger closer to Sarajevo.

These wars rang the warning bells about the dangers of ethno-nationalism fomented by a clique of thugs and university intellectuals. It was a similar situation in Rwanda in 1994, which I travelled to with UNHCR. Hence I was aghast when the ethnonationalist garbage of He Pua Pua was uncovered. No country can consider itself immune.

Now we have the likes of Marama Davidson and her Green associates whipping up hostility against Israel and by implication New Zealand's Jewish community. These people are dangerous.

Birdman said...

I haven't tried to keep up with what NZ pollies are saying about Israel and Gaza - there are so many sources assaulting us on this to deal with already. Trev1's comment on the greens is what I can imagine from them and where they land on the debate.

Trev refers in particular to Davidson. She has manifested throughout her parliamentary career (generous descriptor) as being an intellectual midget who needs no attention. Her equally ineffectual colleague, Golriz Ghahraman, is another with plenty to say and little to respect. She claims refugee status as fleeing the repressive Iranian regime but backs the murderers funded by Iran and indeed Iran itself. It is interesting her claim to be a refugee was clearly refuted years ago by an Australian lawyer (a guy named Lawn) who worked in that area for years - she and her family are economic refugees, so worthy of no particular consideration, let alone the title of being an oppressed individual and NZ's first refugee MP.

It is not just these two but all green MPs who need to reflect on why, after so many years, 90 or so percent of New Zealanders have no time for them. Why are the greens perennially ineffectual, well one thing is for sure, no one but no one wants to include them in their government. Throw them a bone to make them feel loved but no government has let them near cabinet - the reason, like their position on Israel, makes it clear.

Paul Peters said...


The Greens in the UK made little headway until more recent times and one tactic either by design or chance has been to migrate to one or two particular towns or cities and gradually dominate the political scene there, for example Brighton ( also a stronghold for what is called ''gay'' etc these days).
In NZ we have Wellington where the Greens are certainly having quite a say and sway in local and national politics . It is helped by having Victoria Uni (how they hate that name) on hand with its gender-left-race cadres to promote the cause.
The rise of the Greens and racial extremists (on the ''correct'' side) will continue with the crop of appropriately ''educated'' young masses emerging from our ''schools''.

rouppe said...

Birdman, you dismiss the Greens at your peril.

They are in parliament. They have the third largest number of MP's. They have been increasing in size every election. They have been in cabinet, by way of James Shaw.

They are dangerous, that much is true. They have been successful, along with the Maori Party, in formenting ethno nationalist hatred of the rest of us.

R Singers said...

The breakup of the former Yugoslavia was just a restarting of that particular conflict. The German army during WWII only had to police their rail corridors as left to their own devices the locals were busy killing each other and paid their occupiers very little attention.

If memory serves, it all goes back to the rule of Serbia by the Ottoman Empire for five centuries.

Paul Corrigan said...

What an interesting post, Karl, and I bet an interesting revisit from the past.

I don't remember your column but about the time it appeared I happened to be talking to an immigrant from Serbia.

His daughter and one of my daughters were friends from school.

He was having to restart his life all over again in New Zealand, in IT.

In his previous, Serb life he was a lieutenant-colonel of the Serb Air Force. He commanded a fighter-bomber squadron.

He told me how he'd rolled into an attack and armed the unguided rockets he was to launch at people on a village below. He had a moment of realisation.

'These were my people,' he said. 'What was I doing bombing and strafing my people? I'd joined the air force to defend them from outside aggressors. And here once again I was being sent to kill them.'

So he pulled up, safed the rockets, and he and his wingman returned to base.

'I quit the air force while still in my flight suit, and went home. I packed up my wife, her mother, my kids, and got out of there.'

He said they'd left just in time because that night gunmen attacked his house, which was empty.

'A lot of 'my people' wanted me dead.' Then he grinned. 'They still want me dead.'

I have no idea what happened to him.

As for the revisiting of your column by your anonymous correspondent ... well, it seems to be redolent of the modern custom that no-one should be offended, no-one should be discomfited, no-one should have their feelings hurt.

- Paul Corrigan

Kevn said...

Dragging up an event from 25 years ago. That is a trick some wives use.

Anonymous said...

How Karl, I have a question. Why have the two green politicians not been arrested for inciting violence by their chants at these "pro-palistinan" rallies held up country. If you swapped one group for a local group would there not be lash back? And where are the MSM? Cheers.

Hilary Taylor said...

And...I honestly thought local muslims would not march in suppprt of Palestine/Hamas here in ChCh, or indeed NZ...look how wrong I was. Disgusted. They've lost me.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the two Green MPs and Muslim protests, MSM especially Stuff would hide behind the liberation struggle mantra ( same with Penfold's rant about leaving Twitter X because it is full of ''hate'' and hurt and disnfo (in other words people on it often do not share the narrative on ''conspiracy'' theories , trannies, global politics, anti-whitism you name it) .